Plastic sucks. And plastic bags suck even worse. Each year, 5 trillion plastic bags are used worldwide – that’s 160,000 bags per second.
Billions of those single-use plastic bags become litter each year because only 1% get recycled. Of
While each plastic bag is used on average for only 12 minutes, the plastic itself has a life expectancy of up to 1,000 years. And even then it will only have broken down into micro-plastic, but not fully biodegraded, continuing to harm the environment.
So there’s plenty of reasons to minimize our plastic usage as much as possible. Sometimes it’s hard to do, such as with packaged hygienic products and other sensitive materials
For the betterment of the planet, you need to make the switch to paper bags, polypropylene reusable bags, or, better still, handy tote bags that will last a long time and look cool, too.
Therefore, we’ve helped you pick out the best reusable grocery bag by listing the top five below:
BeeGreen – Large Reusable Heavy Duty Grocery Bags ( Foldable into Attached Pouch)
Don’t be fooled by the minimalistic design: the BeeGreen reusable bag can hold its weight in gold.
Well, 50 pounds worth of gold to be precise. And other stuff that you buy from the grocery store (if you shop at Golds ‘R’ Us, then you’re fine, too).
The BeeGreen bag comes in an extra-large size, capable of holding up 2–3 plastic grocery bags worth of stuff. If you’re the kind of person determined not to make multiple trips from the car to your home, then a few BeeGreen bags will keep you covered.
And, because these bags are foldable and fit into a pocket-sized carrying pouch, you can keep a bag in your purse, backpack or car to make sure that you never have to use a plastic bag as a last resort.
Despite being lightweight, the BeeGreen bags are rip resistant and incredibly sturdy. So, once you’ve used them for a while, you can pop them into the washing machine and they’ll look as good as new. Be sure to hang to dry in order to protect the material and to save on electricity.
Best of all, even if some major fluke happens and your bags do rip within a year (maybe avoid shopping at medieval sword festivals with these bags), BeeGreen will refund your bag.
Benefits of the BeeGreen Foldable Grocery Bag:
- Folds into a pocket-sized pouch
- Holds up to 50 pounds
- Fits the same amount of stuff as 2–3 plastic bags
- One year no rip guarantee
- Minimalistic and stylish
Organic Tendril – Reusable Cotton Tote Bag with lots of Pockets
If you’ve ever used a cloth grocery bag, you know that, while they’re usually capable of holding a lot of stuff, the contents within the bag move around and fall over once in motion.
To keep your purchases organized and to prevent them from getting crushed, the Organic Tendril cotton tote bag has 6 pockets (7 if you count the empty space in the middle) to organize your produce, bottles, and other goods from the grocer.
Organic Tendril provides only the best for their customers. They know that finding good quality bags are hard, so they’ve made each of their bags consistently high-quality and premium made.
These tote bags with built-in dividers (pockets) let water and air flow through so you can be sure that when you wash the bag they dry properly, ensuring the best longevity for the bag. You are making an investment, after all.
Each bag is environmentally friendly. Not only are you forgoing plastic shopping bags, but Organic Tendril provides a certified organic 100% biodegradable muslin storage bag free from toxic chemicals. The eco-friendly tote bag is therefore safe to use with babies and food.
What’s more, with each purchase of the Organic Tendril tote bag you get three additional cotton bags of small to medium to large sizes. You can make sure that smaller items, such as fruits and nuts, are contained well and organized within the pockets of the tote bag.
If you want all purpose storage that goes beyond the grocery store into traveling well and making great gifts, opt for an Organic Tendril reusable grocery store bag.
Benefits of the Organic Tendril Reusable Grocery Bag
- Made from 100% organic cotton
- Includes 7 compartments within the bag
- Each purchase includes 3 cotton bags of small, medium, and large sizes
- Contains no harsh chemicals
- Good air circulation throughout the bag
Purifyou – Reusable Mesh/Produce Bags
So, you got your grocery bags, but what if you don’t want your produce to go straight onto the other contents you’ve purchased? Alternatively, what if you buy small loose items like nuts or grains?
You’ll see rolls of produce bags in the grocery store, which still winds up littering the oceans and world around you. Thankfully, Purifyou makes durable bags to put produce and other grocery products in.
Every Purifyou bag comes with its tare weight, so you never have to pre-weigh the bag before filling it with your item—you can just subtract the tare weight from the overall weight. Each bag holds up to 11 pounds, too, so you can fill it full of bricks if you want and still be good at the register.
While being a heavy-duty design, the bags are slightly see-through so you always know what product is inside. Each bag is BPA-, lead-, and mercury-free and is free from harsh chemicals. You can rest assured that your products are not put at risk when coming in contact with the bags.
In addition, you don’t have to worry about putting the bags in the wash either, since each bag is double-stitched and made from the high-quality material.
So, use the Purifyou bags in the grocery store, use the bags to store fruits and veggies in the fridge. No matter how you use them, each bag will save you time at the register and save the planet from more plastic entering fragile ecosystems. A win-win for everyone.
Benefits of the
- Has tare weight on the bag
- Bags hold up to 11 pounds
- Purchase includes small, medium, and large bags
- Slightly see-through so you can see your produce
- BPA-, lead-, mercury- and harsh chemical-free
- Double stitched
- Machine washable
Earthwise – Insulated Grocery Shopping Bag
Behold! An insulated bag that will keep frozen foods frozen long enough for you to get home and store them properly! This will sure come in handy when global temperatures rise due to climate change, right?
While the bags keep cold things cold, they also keep hot things hot, which is perfect for picnics, potlucks, BBQs, the beach and any other food- or drink-based occasion.
The bags are made from heavy-duty polypropylene, and the handles are sewn all the way down for maximum durability. The stitching and zipper make the bag leak proof as well.
Should something spill in the bag, the plastic lining makes clean up a breeze. Simply wipe the bags off with a rag soaked with soap and water and you’re good to go.
It’s good to have at least one insulated bag in your arsenal of reusable bags, as you never know when the need will arise.
Benefits of the Earthwise Insulated Reusable Grocery Bags
- Insulated bags maintain the temperature of the contents longer
- Heavy-duty construction
- Easy to clean plastic liner
True Natured Co. – Zero Waste Biodegradable Cloth Shopping Bags (Washable)
Best for overall sustainability and easing your way into the zero-waste lifestyle. None of the packagings from True Natured Co will include plastic (a third-party shipper, such as Amazon, may be a different story).
The set comes with one cotton net reusable grocery bag, three mesh produce bags for fruits and veggies, and three bulk bin bags for nuts, coffee, and smaller items.
Each of these cloth grocery bags is double stitched with durable seams and has the tare weight on them for easier weighing. Rest assured knowing that your ethical consumer habits are having much better impacts on the environment.
Benefits of the True Natured Co.
- Comes with 7 bags total
- Completely zero waste and plastic free
- Tare weights on bags
- Machine washable
Recap: Why you should get a reusable shopping bag
- Better for the environment
- You don’t have to deal with the pile of shopping bags later on
- Feel better
- Support companies in improving the environment
- Never fear that the flimsy plastic bag you’re using will tear
It’s about time more people used reusable shopping bags.
Which one will you choose?
You Might Also Like…
- Is Burning Cardboard Bad for the Environment? (6 Facts)
- Is Burning Paper Bad for the Environment? (6 Surprising Facts)
- Is Burning Leaves Bad for the Environment? (7 Quick Facts)
- 4 Natural Cleaners for Quartz Countertops
- 6 Eco-Friendly Acrylic Paint Brands (For Sustainable Artists)
- 5 Eco-friendly Alternatives to Acrylic Paint (& How to Make Them)
- Is Acrylic Paint Bad for the Environment? (7 Quick Facts)
- Is Acrylic Yarn Bad for the Environment? 8 Crucial Facts
- Is Acrylic Bad for the Environment? (8 Quick Facts)
- Is Aluminum Foil Bad for the Environment? 7 Quick Facts
- Is Bleach Bad for the Environment? 6 Crucial Facts
- Is Lithium Mining Bad for the Environment? 6 Crucial Facts
- Is Borax Bad for the Environment? 7 Quick Facts
- Are Smoke Bombs Bad for the Environment? 5 Crucial Facts
- Are Scent Boosters Bad for the Environment? (5 Quick Facts)
- Are Soda Crystals Bad for the Environment? 6 Facts (You Should Know)
- Are Steam Trains Bad for the Environment? 5 Quick Facts
- Are Quartz Watches Bad for the Environment? 4 Common Questions (Answered)
- Are Quarries Bad for the Environment? (7 Harmful Effects)
- Are Swimming Pools Bad for the Environment? 4 Quick Facts